Screenplay

INT. bedroom, morning

Clothes lay scattered over the floor of a busy room being trampled by a group of women who are rushing around, giggling with one another.

A woman, AVA HALL, sits as the back staring blankly into the mirror in front of her, as someone plays with her hair. The door next to her slightly open, and holding up a long white dress.

AVA carelessly knocks a bottle of perfume onto the floor, and watches the others panic over it, laughing to herself, as they fight to be the one to give it back to her.

CHARLOTTE WILSON shoves it back onto the dresser, rolling her eyes at the girls beside her.

CHARLOTTE
(annoyed) You have to be more careful!I swear you don't give a shit about anything.

AVA
It was an accident! God, you're being so over dramatic today.

AVA HALL flicks her hair and walks away to the bathroom, AMELIA ADAMS and EMMA EVANS trailing behind her carrying the dress.

AVA quickly pulls it on, as the other two fuss about it being perfect, straightening it up, and slowly zipping up the back.

AMELIA
(excitedly) Oh sweetie! You look gorg, he's gonna die when he sees you.

EMMA
She's right he definitely will!

AVA
(boredly) Yeah sure he will... Can I have a minute alone?

AMELIA and EMMA quickly leave, and AVA slams the door behind them locking it swiftly.
She slams her phone onto the side and sits on the edge of the bath, holding her head in her hands.

AVA
(to herself) Fuck my life! Screw him, screw her, fuck everyone.
I swear I'm cursed or something, cause this kind of rubbish would only happen to me.

CHARLOTTE
(knocking gently) Babe are you alright?
I didn't mean it you know... it's your wedding day, you can knock over whatever you want.

AVA
I'm not in the mood. (quietly) Especially for you, you slaggy bitch.

CHARLOTTE
What was that? I couldn't hear you... Just come out soon, we need to sort out you veil.

AVA
I'll be out in a minute OK.

CHARLOTTE storms back down the corridor, towards the anxious girls in the other room, angrily texting as she rolls her eyes at the girls and starts whispering to them.

AVA
(staring in the mirror) You can do this! Its gonna be alright, it's just the rest of your life to worry about. No big deal.
You could just forget that it ever happened, I mean you didn't know for years and it was no big problem then was it... It isn't something I can just forget though.
Why can't I do pep talks? Even for myself.

AVA sinks to the floor and lays down, staring at the bright light on the ceiling, crumpling her freshly pressed dress.

The rain smashes against the window, blocking out the noise of the girls down the hall.

AVA
Two options. It's simple.
1, get married to LIAM, like planned and live a happyish life, while he shags someone else.
2, don't get married, annoy everyone I know, and he can do whatever the fuck he wants with his life, whilst I just hide from my problems forever...
I mean it isn't a nice day to get married. And this dress definitely isn't perfect... So basically everything is wrong.
Wrong day, wrong groom, wrong dress, wrong fucking maid of honour.

CHARLOTTE
(knocking loudly) Babes! We've got to go, the car's waiting outside. We can sort your hair out on the way there... at least it isn't as messy as usual.
Just hurry up please, it's now or never.

AVA
(smashes hand against the floor) Fuck!

AVA takes a deep breath and slowly gets up, unlocking the door and peaking out.

CHARLOTTE starts straightening her dress instantly, as AVA slowly walks down the stairs trembling as she goes.

Her bridesmaids gather all of the bouquets and slowly follow her out of the front door. It slams shut behind them

CUT

EXT. GARDEN, AFTERNOON

AVA runs into the garden, her white dress messy and her makeup ruined. She sits silently on a bench staring off into the distance.

CHARLOTTE slowly approaches, playing with a ring on her finger and tries to not make eye contact with her.

The rain pours down around them.

AVA
(Whispers) This is all your fault. I hope you know that.

CHARLOTTE
I didn’t mean to hurt you

AVA
(Cuts in) didn’t mean to hurt me. Fuck off! What did you think you were doing? Oh I’m gonna sleep with her fiance, she definitely won’t care about that.

CHARLOTTE
Look, I know I shouldn’t have.

AVA
Well that’s great. Glad you’ve realised.

CHARLOTTE
There is no need to be so rude about it.

AVA
Me being rude. Have a look in the mirror.
I didn’t ruin your wedding, I didn’t sleep with you fiance, I’m not rude, you are... I can’t be arsed with this anymore.
Why the fuck are you here? It isn't like you care about me, you clearly don't, so just get out of my life.

CHARLOTTE
Is that what you really want?

AVA
(quietly) Yeah it is. I don't need people in my life who are going to screw me over.

CHARLOTTE
I didn't want to screw you over, and I'm not the only one to blame here.
He slept with me. He was the one getting married, not me. He's the one who didn't tell you, who let you think that you were living this perfect life. Him not me.

AVA
(angrily) You also didn't tell me. You lied straight to my face. It worse from you. I've known you for nearly all my life, and you thought you could just keep it from me. That i wouldn't find out.

CHARLOTTE
But you did find out. I don't see the problem anymore. I felt so bad about it at the time.
But you know now so why the fuck should i feel bad?

AVA
Cause you still did it.

CHARLOTTE gets up and starts storming away. As AVA puts her head in her hands, the rain getting heavier.

CHARLOTTE
(turns back) You know what? You have always seen yourself as perfect, but I make one simple mistake and you lose your shit.
Sorry I'm not perfect, but lets be honest. Neither are you.

AVA breaks down crying as CHARLOTTE walks away, flipping her hair.

CUT

EXT. House, EVENING 2 Years later

Lights flash brightly making the house glow red and blue.

The lawn is messy, leaves everywhere, the cars are covered in mud. People run in and out, chaos consuming those nearby. The crying and screaming unheard due to the loud sirens.

Ambulances and police cars cover the streets, bring attention towards them.

The long grass is being scanned by many people, all avoiding the white cover in the middle, concealing the cause of the chaos.

The rain thrashes down, washing the cobbles off everything that happened. The red running down the drive.

LIAM slowly walks up the drive. The police officers covering the drive try to hold him back as he walks towards the white cover.

It is slowly peeled back to show CHARLOTTE lying on the grass, the blades around her stained red from the blood dripping from her neck.

LIAM
Oh my God. This isn't real.

A police officer grabs LIAM dragging away from her body, as officers rush to cover her back up. The rain begins to fall harder, attacking the faces of all those outside.

The officer slowly walks a sobbing LIAM towards the house. LIAM stops at the door and takes a deep breath before slowly stepping in.

CUT

EXT. House, The night before

Darkness covered the house, hiding it from the outside world.

A small light signs from the upstairs windows, a figure staring out into the outside world, thinking through the long day they have had.

The trees whistled around in the extreme winds that had been attacking the streets that day. The added rain fall ruining the night for all those who have to face it.

The light flickers behind the front door, getting brighter the closer you get, almost blinding due to the contrast of the outside world.

A figure stops at the door. Debating what to do next.

They slowly push open the front door, the blinding light fighting the darkness as the quietly shut the door behind them.

CUT

INT. bedroom, NIGHT

AVA looks out of the window, staring down at the figure at the door, panic filling her body.

CUT

INT. hallway, night

Big empty stairs frame the house, the slight light from upstairs lighting them in the night.

CHARLOTTE slowly walks up the stairs, carefully trying not to step in the wrong place. Avoiding creaks like ticking bombs.

She storms down the hallway, paying no attention to anything around her. Heading to a familiar room ahead. A room filled with bad memories of a day that she'd rather forget.

CHARLOTTE pushes open the end door. The empty room clearly only had just stopped being used.

The light still glowed, the cupboard was open. The desk seemed busy.

Something clicks in her mind and CHARLOTTE turns down the hall towards the bathroom slamming her hand against the door.

A small whimper is heard from the other side.

CUT

INT. bathroom, night

AVA sits on the floor, her back pressed against the door.

Tears stream down her face as fists hit against the door behind her shaking every inch of her body.

The messy bathroom around her made her feel more panicked. Nothing around her could help her. 
Everything was useless.

The banging gets louder. No other noise can be heard from the room. AVA's crying becomes more intense but the noise is drowned out.

Suddenly the door is kicked open.

AVA is pushed to the other side of the room hitting her head against the bath.

CHARLOTTE stares down at her, shaking with anger, staring down at her ex best friend.

CUT

INT. house, night

Plain white screen.

A piercing scream is heard.

AVA is lying on the ground.

Plain white screen.

A loud bang follows.

Light crying can be heard.

CUT

INT. bathroom, night

CHARLOTTE furiously washes her hands. The water running red.

Tears fall, their greyish colour joining the red mess in the sink.

Slowly the water begins to clear and CHARLOTTE's crying and hand washing begin to slow.

She quickly turns the sink off, The silence of the house feeling deafening as she turns to leave the room.

Suddenly she stops. Looking down at AVA lying cold on the floor.

CHARLOTTE turns away, swishing her hair towards AVA as she leaves the room, slamming the door behind her.

CUT

INT. hallway, night

CHARLOTTE storms down the stairs, being careless now, the stairs creaking under her feet.

She swings round the end of the stair case and out of sight.

The stairs stand empty in the silent hall.

CUT

EXT. House, night

CHARLOTTE comes out of the front door slamming it behind her.

She looks down at her hands, the traces of blood still underneath her finger nails.

Out of the upstairs window, we see her walk back into the house.

A few moments later she walks onto the grass, something silver glittering in the rain.

CHARLOTTE drops to the floor and the rain hits the window harder, the noise slowly getting louder.

FADE

INT. bathroom, EVENING, day after

LIAM slowly walks in, officers peer at him through the door.

He carefully approaches the white sheet in front of him.

Pealing it back a bloodied face stares back at him, seeming to be glaring into his eyes.

His fingers carefully touch her bloody head, soaking his fingers in red.

Officers move swiftly towards him, scared of what he is going to do next.

LIAM reaches over, running his red fingers down her face, closing his eyes in one swift move.

The officers turn away, trying to leave the young man to say goodbye, going back to doing their jobs.

LIAM pauses, waiting for the creaks on the old stairs, which he had always hated.

LIAM
(to himself) Those stupid stairs! After all this time she never bothered to get them fixed. I wanted them done day 1 when we brought the house, but no. It'll ruin the atmosphere. Well I'm sorry that I want to live in a nice house where I don't have to be careful to be quiet on the stairs. Those stairs nearly got me caught out so many times. But look who got caught out this time... Stupid bitch.

LIAM gets up and pulls something silver out of his pocket.

He quickly checked out the door, making sure that no one was still in the corridor.

Swiftly, LIAM lent down and plunged the silver into AVA's lifeless body. Repeating this action manically.

CUT

EXT. House, EVENING

LIAM walks out of the front door, covered in blood. His arms fully red.

He has a grin on his face as he throws a wink toward the lifeless body on the grass, storming down the driveway.

The police officers ran at him, one tackles him to the ground holding him against the floor as the others rush around to check what has happened.

LIAM stays grinning as his face in pressed into the floor.

The rain thrashes against him, pouring from the officer above him onto his head.

The sirens above him get louder as the red and blue lights cover the screen slowly blurring out his face, which never stops smiling, making full eye contact with the camera.

FADE to black

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Operator (2015) Caroline Bartleet

Creative Ideas

Logline